Black & White Argyle

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

For the Love of Netflix and Amazon Prime

As part of my "winding down" process every night, I turn on the Roku and watch a little TV. I know, I know - "they" say it's bad to have the TV on right before you go to sleep or to use electronic devices, etc. Supposedly, you're better off lying in a dark room of complete silence in order to go to sleep. It just doesn't work for me. After a long day at work, the last thing that will turn my brain off is a quiet room and darkness. That kind of situation will ultimately make my brain start a whirlwind of what-ifs and whys and hows. And then, no matter how tired I am or how sleepy my eyes are, I won't be able to sleep until I've resolved all the world's problems, including finding a solution for world peace and world hunger. That is not an over-dramatization either. Believe me when I tell you how difficult it is to shut my brain off and actually sleep. 

Instead of obeying what "they" say, I turn on the TV instead, watch something silly or light, let my eyes get sleepy, and then just as I'm starting to nod off, I turn the TV off and settle in for the night. It generally works great, and I find that I sleep better because my brain is not solving major problems, mulling over the day's news of catastrophes that I can't fix, and creating spreadsheets or sets of data to show how we can fix poverty and solve homelessness. Heavenly Father has a big job. I don't know how He does it. 

Lately, there are a few fun things I've found to watch on Netflix and Amazon Prime. Some might say it's a waste to pay for both, but sometimes there are shows only one of them will carry. Besides, I buy enough from Amazon every year that the membership pays for itself in free shipping, so it's like I don't even pay to watch TV there. I thought it would be fun to write down what I've been watching (for my own future reference). These are probably shows I'd watch again in the daylight. Some would even be worthy of buying the series if I could afford it. But who knows when DVDs and Blu-ray will suddenly be extinct? It's a risk I haven't been able to take yet, although I do own some series on DVD because they are priceless (such as As Time Goes By - how I love a British series!). 

Here's what I've been watching lately (in no particular order): 

Eureka (which should have an exclamation point, I think)


This show is quirky and silly and funny and fun, and I really like watching it. It was only on Amazon Prime for a short time, so I'll have to buy it if I want to re-watch any of it (actually, I think the 4th and 5th seasons are still free, but if you don't see the first three seasons it will mean nothing). The characters are kind of ridiculous, but it's fun to be in their world where all the smart people are lumped into one city and chaos ensues. Plus, it's hilarious to me that Colin Ferguson (The Marshal, aka The Sheriff) is the guy that plays in the Maytag commercials. I didn't connect those dots until recently, and it made me chuckle to see him as the Maytag guy. 

Alphas

I love this show! And it's been canceled (I think). It's kind of a neat concept though. Basically, the characters all have some sort of super power. They're under the guidance of one man who kind of leads them and helps them use their super powers for good. The acting is really good, and I enjoyed the character development. I love the guy that plays an autistic man. It gives some idea of what goes on in the brains of those smart people who just don't relate as well socially. 

Longmire

A&E totally screwed up when they canceled this series, and I hope some other network will pick it up in the near future and continue on. Dad would have loved this show. I still need to watch the last season (which just became available on Netflix, I think). The acting is incredible. The character of Sheriff Longmire is so bruised and beaten; it's a miracle he can get out of bed every day. I also like how they interact with the Indian nations of Wyoming and address some of today's issues and concerns with that culture. The characters really show what it might be like for American Indians today as they're still dealing with problems stemming from long ago. 

Warehouse 13

This show is just silly. It's also been canceled, I think. It cracks me up to think that there might actually be a warehouse somewhere that houses all the gone-wrong patents and other paraphernalia that causes the world to rotate incorrectly on its axis. And the little gizmo that they talk to each other on while on the job? Too funny. Even though there have been some intense moments in this show, it's mostly just a light-hearted adventure for me. 

Law & Order SVU

A classic! I have loved this show from the very beginning, and although it's not really a bedtime kind of TV show, I can watch the episodes of this show over and over. Marathons on TV? Yes, please! I will admit that I liked it better when Elliott was there because he and Olivia were the best combination of partners in every way. It's kind of neat now, though, that Olivia is the new captain and gets to guide her teammates on some serious cases. Not since S. Epatha Merkerson was a captain in the original Law & Order have I enjoyed a woman in a roll as intense as this one. Criminal Minds takes a close second with their female cast, and NCIS comes in close as well, but SVU takes the cake for strong female leads. 

On the note of Criminal Minds and NCIS, Criminal Minds only had a few seasons on Netflix (that I could find), and many of those were from their Suspect Behavior series, which I have yet to get into. I really wish one of them would pick up NCIS (another show I could watch over and over again), but I hear CBS is a little grumpy about giving up their best and highest rated show. I get it. But don't you think they'd have even more following if those who don't have TV could watch the show via streaming? My bet is they'd see another boost in ratings, but whatever CBS. 

And that's what I've been watching lately! I noticed that Cheers, Frasier, The Wonder Years, and Friends are all on Netflix and/or Amazon Prime as well, so I won't go without something to put me to sleep for a long time, and I'm good with that! 

1 comment:

  1. I am so out of the loop on television shows, in fact I didn't even recognize any of the shows you highlighted except SVU and that was only because of mom.
    Although, I have been watching Friends I am on the last season. It's fun to follow this show in sequence but I admit a lot of garbage could have been left out to make it even better.
    I pay for basic cable and yet we don't use it at all. Back in the old days I used to think how could I ever be without a television. The past decade has convinced me I haven't and wouldn't miss a thing. There is just so much to do from visiting with family to serving others. On the other hand, being connected to the internet is a story for another day.

    ReplyDelete