Black & White Argyle

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Rice Ortega

I have NO idea where this recipe came from, but Mom makes a mean Rice Ortega. We almost always eat it with Mexican food (tacos, burritos, etc.) as a side dish, but it can easily be put with other things as well. Or, you know, eaten as a meal all by itself, which we often do. It's so tasty and filling, and it just hits the spot when you need something warm and comforting.

Here's the recipe (Off the cuff, so no measurements - sorry! It's how we roll....)

Cook some Minute Rice in a large pot, or plan to transfer the cooked rice to a large bowl in order to mix it with the other items (usually 3-4 cups will do for a 13x9 pan and a good-sized crowd)
One carton of sour cream
One carton of cottage cheese
Shredded cheese (the more, the better, in my opinion)
Two (or more!) cans of diced green chilies (you can also use jalapenos here for some extra kick, but personally I think that makes it too hot)
Salt and pepper (season it until it tastes good to you)

Spray a 13x9 pan with non-stick spray really well. Make sure to get the corners. (Dairy sticks.)
Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Once the rice is cooked, fluff it with a fork (transfer to a large bowl if necessary).
Add the sour cream, cottage cheese, diced chilies, salt and pepper, and a few handfuls of shredded cheese. Mix until well blended. You should be able to see flecks of the shredded cheese throughout the mixture. If you can't, I'd add more. (So I'm addicted to cheese ... you got a problem with that?!)
Spoon the mixture into the greased 13x9 pan and add more shredded cheese to the top.
Cover with tinfoil and place in the pre-heated oven; bake for 35-45 minutes until the cheese on top is melted. Uncover and bake for another five minutes.
Serve.
Eat.
LOVE!

Seriously though, this is so good. We just had some on Sunday for dinner, and it was some of the best Mom has ever made. It gets better and better the more you make it and fine tune it. I like it to be moist, so if you have to add more sour cream or cottage cheese don't be afraid to do it.

It's also fun to eat as a side with roast beef, chicken, or pork. Turkey not so much, but I'm weird about what I'll eat with turkey (mashed potatoes and gravy, duh). It adds a little extra bit of flavor to the meal without being overpowering or making a non-Mexican dinner suddenly turn into a Mexican meal.

Thanks to whoever taught Mom about this recipe. It's been a versatile part of our meals for as long as I can remember. Plus, it's cheap and feeds a crowd. You can't beat that when you're on a budget. And kids love it, too. Even with the green chilies, it's mild enough that kids will eat it and like it. Try it - I promise you'll like it, too!

1 comment:

  1. Rice Ortega has been a hit ever since I can remember. I remember when I first had it and my mouth was on fire. Now, it's more like a casserole. It does go good with several dishes. Although, I do must confess that minute rice does not sound appealing to me. Why don't you make it with white rice?

    ReplyDelete