Black & White Argyle

Saturday, July 4, 2015

America the Beautiful

Every Monday morning at work we have a brief devotional. The devotional includes a hymn, a spiritual thought, and a prayer for our efforts and work in the coming week. It lasts maybe 15 minutes, and it's a great way to start the week. I enjoy the fact that everyone gets an opportunity to share some of their personal experiences along with their testimony about a gospel principle. You can't do that at every workplace! 

On Monday of this week, a gentleman gave the thought. He talked about President Wilford Woodruff's experience in the St. George Temple where he was visited by the writers of the Declaration of Independence and they asked President Woodruff why their temple work had not yet been done. It was an eye-opener for President Woodruff, and he immediately went to work on having their temple ordinances completed. One of the points this co-worker was trying to make is that if we hadn't had such great leaders at the foundation of this country, like those who wrote and signed the Declaration of Independence, the way would not have been opened for Joseph Smith to restore the gospel in its fullness back to the earth. Events needed to happen in a certain order and freedoms needed to be established so that the gospel could be restored in a land where people's agency was considered a blessing and a priority rather than an inconvenience. 

At the end of the devotional thought, this gentleman asked that we sing "America the Beautiful." I was asked to lead the music. When we came to the second verse, I teared up as we sang the phrase: "God men thine ev'ry flaw." Why? Because last weekend, on June 26, there was a 5 to 4 vote for the legalization of same gender marriage. 

When the verdict came, I was at work and felt devastated. As much as I had hoped and prayed that the Supreme Court would recognize marriage between one man and one woman as the only viable way to protect and grow our society, I think I knew deep in my heart that the outcome would be in favor of same gender marriage. As much as I love my gay friends and family members, I do not condone, believe in, or accept same gender marriage as "the law of the land." It is not an issue of having the same rights either, although media sources have presented it as an issue of equality. 

Now is not the time to voice my full opinion on the matter. I guess if people want to know my opinion they can ask and then we can have an open and respectful discussion about why I believe what I believe. If it can't be an open and respectful conversation, I don't want to have it - regardless of whether other's opinions agree with me or not.  

Anyway, the reason I teared up while singing the hymn was because I realized that, even though I don't agree with the ruling, I do know and understand that God is in charge. Heavenly Father knows what will happen, and He understands the timing. He also provided us a book (The Book of Mormon) to help us avoid past mistakes. Sometimes we will avoid them; other times (like now) we won't avoid them. It is important to recognize in all things that Heavenly Father still allows us our agency. Unfortunately, it is the minority of us that are using our agency right now, and that's why laws have passed that will further deteriorate our country and society. It is also those laws that will impact God's eternal plan of happiness for us all and, try as they might, destroy the eternal family unit as we know it. 

So when I sang "God mend thine ev'ry flaw" in that hymn it evoked an emotional response to something I've pleaded for in my heart for years. I pray that God will continue to grant his grace to us as a country because of and in spite of the minority "votes" that seem to matter so much these days. I pray that God will mend our country's every flaw and help us learn to listen to His voice and return to His way of living. I pray that we will not only read The Book of Mormon regularly, but that we will learn from those of previous generations and not make the same mistakes by slowly (or quickly) accepting and tolerating laws that are not God's laws. It was the end of an entire population of people; may it not be the end of us. 

And may my gay friends and family members know how much I love them, how much I care about them, and how much I want the very best for them - in every aspect of life. Along with that, may they also understand that I love my Heavenly Father and my Savior, Jesus Christ, and Their love and laws will always be more important to me than anything else, including the opinion of those I love and care about. That's the way it should be if we really, truly want to live with Heavenly Father again. And I do want to live with Him again. Forever. May our "ev'ry flaw" be mended by the One and Only person who can.

On this day especially, July 4th, a day of independence and freedom, I honor those who have come before, who paved the way for my freedoms, and who helped bring about the restored gospel to this earth. I also honor God's laws and God's ways which allow me to not only have, but the ability to use, my own agency. It is a great Plan of Happiness we are living in, even when there are laws affecting my country that I don't agree with. Heavenly Father is still in charge, and I'm more than okay with that. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing Katie!

    America is truly beautiful be it Montana or Utah or any other state!

    ReplyDelete