Black & White Argyle

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Did I mention how much I HATE answering phones?

Working in an administrative position you're likely to have to answer phones at some point. In my case, I get a few calls during the week for those I support, but other than that it's fairly quiet ... except on Fridays. Oh Fridays, how I normally love you, but now don't because of the stupid phone calls! 

I cover the phones for another secretary on Fridays so she can have lunch. That 45 minutes to an hour are the worst part of my week - and that is NOT an overstatement. It seems like all the whacky questions come in during that time. All the crazies pick up the phone at once and call me to get answers. 

No, I don't know where the temple sends their "special" linens. 
No, I don't know how you can reach so-and-so on their personal or home line. (And even if I did, I wouldn't give that information to you!)
No, I don't know who pays for your stake's phones or internet access. 
No, I can't see if someone is in their office on the 11th floor when I work on the 4th floor. (Who am I, Houdini?)
No, I don't know what's on the menu at The Lion House. 
No, I can't make reservations at The Garden Room. 

What can I do? I can hang up on you right now. Honestly, I try to be nice and help people as much as I can, but sometimes, dangit, I just can't do what they're asking. The annoying part of all of it is that they've usually been transferred to me from the general number, and the people answering phones there didn't ask enough questions to find out what the person really wanted or needed. GR! It frustrates me to no end. 

Years ago, I used to work as a supervisor in a call center. I would take the escalated calls and try to "make things right" for people calling in with concerns or questions. How in the world did I do that for so many years?! It probably sucked 30 years off of my life doing that job, and I had no clue it was happening. Heaven knows it sucks 30 years off of my life every Friday when those phones get transferred to me. 

The ONLY person I call regularly and actually enjoy talking to is my mom. It keeps me sane (as in: awake) for part of my commute home from work. Once I'm done talking to her, I'm good for at least another 24 hours before talking with anyone on the phone. Why? I don't know. Even in high school I didn't like talking on the phone. My sister would talk on the phone for ages to literally anyone when she was in high school. Not me! You couldn't pay me enough money to talk on the phone for very long. 

Should we chalk that up to my introversion? Yeah, let's go with that explanation. Just don't make me answer any more phone calls!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I hear ya – oops I mean I know what you mean.
    I despised anything to do with the phone except the smart ones that let me text and or read the news when I have some down time, search or find directions on a map.
    On one hand I think I could have been much more monetarily successful in life when I think about all the jobs out there that require communicating over the phone to seal high dollar deals, etc. On the other hand, I think how successful I have been that I have not had to handle high dollar deals over the phone due to my hearing impairment, but that my ability to communicate has improved immensely along with the technological advance of the basic phone to the smart phones of today which enables me to send texts and/or emails to anyone conveniently.

    ReplyDelete