Black & White Argyle

Thursday, August 13, 2015

I'd Love to Renovate a House

There. I said it. I think it would be so much fun to buy an older home with sturdy bones that was looking unloved and abandoned and whip it into shape. Renovations can be a pain, I know that. It would be still fun, however, to take something from a run-down status to a thriving space. The only problem? I have this thing called a job. And student loan debt. And I haven't won the lottery yet. But when I do ... 

... that whole renovation thing is going to happen. 

DIY is awesome. 

Turning an old door into a coffee table? Yes, please. 
Turning an old dresser into a bench with storage? You betcha! 
Making a wood block lamp? Bring it on. 
Using old windows as photo frames? Easy!
Turning an old shutter into a bill organize or mail holder? Totally cool. 
Using mason jars as hanging lights? Awesome. 
And we don't even need to mention the fire pit I've already discussed. 

There's something fulfilling about being creative and making something new out of something old. Re-purposing is a better way to say it, I guess. 

But you don't re-purpose a house. You RENOVATE. And I would love to do that. 

Busting out walls? Fun! 
Laying new floors? Exciting! 
Shopping for colors and appliances and furnishings? Delightful! 
Gutting bathrooms? Cool! 
Re-doing a kitchen? Exhilarating! 
Demolishing gross cabinets? Awesome! 

We're not renovating our house currently, nor do we have plans to buy a home and renovate it any time soon, but one of these days I've GOT to do a renovation. Even if it's only to say I did it, I want to do a renovation. 

If you're doing a renovation invite me over, okay? Maybe if I kick in your walls I won't feel the need to do it in a home I own. Deal?  

1 comment:

  1. Renovate a home? Boy, have I been there and done that. I should have invited you over more often when I was remodeling my home in Spanish Fork. Indeed, it is fun. There is something exhilarating about it – taking something old and making it new again.
    But, may ask? Why do you have to wait and buy an old home to turn an old door into a coffee table; or old dresser into a bench with storage, etc? Those are the things you can be doing now.
    Then when you get your dream “Old Home” you can bust out walls, lay floors, etc.
    Likewise, we’re not renovating anytime soon but when we do, expect a call from us. We have dreams to renovate our kitchen someday. Is that a deal?

    ReplyDelete