Black & White Argyle

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Fire Pit Station

We've had a fire pit for years now. I originally bought one that was medium-sized, and it served us well. But then I found a great deal on a large fire pit, so I bought it and gave the other one to my brother. I like the fact that the fire pit is mobile and can be dragged to wherever we want to use it. It's come in handy to use it in the front yard during the summer when the back yard is a sweltering 2,506 degrees. We sit in the shade of the front yard with a fire burning and enjoy the fire pit, even in the thick summer heat. 

As part of my home improvement "wants", I'd really love to have a fire pit station in our backyard. We can still use the mobile pit for fires out front, but in the Spring and Fall a fire pit station in the backyard would be really nice. Mom is in agreement, but things like this take time, money, and effort. Mostly money. 

I've been pricing pavers through Lowe's and Home Depot. It seems they have some at a pretty reasonable price. We don't need anything fancy. They have some red-ish pavers that would complement or maybe even match the bricks of our house. We do have some landscape curbing, so even some of the gray cement looking pavers would work well. It would take some cutting, however, since the section of yard we would use has some curves. The idea is to build a stationary fire pit that is easy to access and clean year-round and also adds some variety to the yard. 

The following are some images that spark my imagination about possibilities, and they make me excited to get started on a project like this that's useful and adds value to our yard. (All images were found by Googling "diy fire pit".) 

I like this one because it leaves the grass as-is and is still off the ground enough that little kids can't fall in. (They can climb in, yes, but it's also got a big enough lip that parents would likely catch them before they got too far.) 


I like the looks of this one because it's square. So many are round (our mobile one is round), so this gives a little different detail to the yard. Plus, since we would put it in a somewhat circular space, it would be interesting to have the different shapes together for more angles and interest. I also like the height and the idea of having grill options for the top. There's nothing like a burger cooked over a hot fire!  


This is kind of a cool idea because it would put the mobile fire pit to use and still allow it to be mobile if we wanted to move it to the front yard. These are a similar shape/texture to the pavers I've seen on Lowe's and Home Depot's websites. 


This is more what I imagine doing. Although, the area where we would like to have a station is not nearly this large. (That is one HUGE pit!) But I like how the pavers are put down and spaced out to give the fire air. I also like the idea of being able to size it however we want. The mobile fire pit is large, but we could go a little larger on a permanent one for the backyard. 


This is a more simplified version of a pit station. Again, it would leave the grass intact, and I like the larger rectangular pavers. They are cheaper, too, plus they look pretty neat offset like this. I'd definitely want to create a couple or three more "layers" of the pavers to keep it off the ground. I think it would look similar to the station above, but uses the rectangular pavers instead of the naturally curved ones, which might be easier. The reason I say easier is because the curved pavers kind of have to match up in order to look decent. These rectangular ones wouldn't need an exact line up to look good. 


For now, I'll keep dreaming about my fire pit station. At least Mom is on board with it, so when we do finally decide what we want and get the measurements and supplies, it will be gung-ho with the project. I can't wait! If/when we ever get it done, I'll have to take pictures to show what we finally decided to do. Sounds like a good summer project, right? 

1 comment:

  1. Many choices; excellent project! Do follow up and post what project you chose and how it turned out. Say, what is the average approximate cost to do a pit like this? Julie and I want to do one too, but we're not that far along as you are.

    ReplyDelete