Black & White Argyle

Friday, June 26, 2015

Recipe: Bowtie Caprese Toss

I found this recipe online through Good Housekeeping, and it looks SO good. We really enjoy eating bruschetta with the toasted bread, fresh mozzarella cheese and basil, and drizzled with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. It's a tasty and fresh summer time dinner/treat/appetizer/snack that takes only a little time and doesn't heat the house up to boiling. 

Since we've already had some 100 degree weather (and since we're in for a LOT more in the coming week), I thought this was a good way to enjoy caprese served cold. I haven't made it yet, but when I do I'll probably make some adjustments (because that's how I roll). It might end up being our go-to pasta salad. I mean, look at these ingredients. YUM, right? 


Bowtie Caprese Toss
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 ounces mini bowtie pasta (farfalle)
1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 
1 small onion
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons water
1 clove garlic
6 ounces fresh mozzarella
1 green onion
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves (Since I'm not a huge fan of parsley, I think I would omit this ingredient and put basil in its place.)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions: 
In large bowl, combine tomatoes and salt; set aside. Heat covered 3-quart saucepan of salted water to boiling on high. Add bowtie pasta and cook as label directs. Drain pasta and transfer to bowl with tomatoes, stirring until well combined. Cool completely. 

Meanwhile, in 10-inch non-stick skillet, heat olive oil on medium for one minute, then add onion. Cook one minute or until onion begins to soften; add balsamic vinegar and water, stirring to coat. Cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until onion is soft and almost all liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. 

Uncover and add garlic. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until garlic is lightly browned. Cool completely. Add onion mixture to pasta and tomatoes, along with mozzarella, green onion, parsley, and black pepper. 


Doesn't that sound delish?! I can't wait to try it and hope to find time to make it soon. 

I'd also like to add that Costco is so very good and so very bad for me. Costco has an amazing selection of cheese. They have fresh mozzarella that's already pre-sliced (works perfectly on that bruschetta!), and it would be so easy to dice up for this pasta salad. I was at Costco last night and noticed they have a selection of the cherry tomatoes as well. I should have bought some, but didn't. Another reason (excuse!) to go back, I guess. Maybe that will give me time to stand in the cheese aisle and dream up recipes for each of the cheese flavors. And yes, that is a true source of entertainment for me. 

1 comment:

  1. Julie makes one similar to this using the same ingredients more or less. It is a tasty salad for the summer!

    ReplyDelete